FNA Board Meeting Minutes

Fulton Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes 12/12/2012

Minutes of December 12, 2012

FNA Board Meeting

 Board Members Present:  Jeff Alden,  Jeremy Abbs,  Ellen Berner, John Finlayson,  Steve Haslach, Ryan Kelley,  Jane Kohnen, Brad Orschel, Jim Tincher, Lynn Steele and Steve Young

 Guests:   Ruth Olson, Nikki Friederich, Dave Delvoye, Matt Perry, Bill Smith, Jay Pomeroy, Clyde Kane, Ryan Lamberty and approximately 15 other neighbors.

 Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m.

 Minutes:  Minutes from the November 12, 2012 FNA meeting were reviewed.  John moved to approve the Minutes as presented; Jeff seconded the motion.  Motion carried by unanimous vote.

 Treasurer’s Report:  The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. 

 Council Member’s Report:  Councilmember Hodges was unable to attend due to final budget hearings.

 Southwest High School Proposal to Add Permanent Lights to Southwest Stadium:   Principal Bill Smith presented a proposal to add permanent fixtures/lighting to the stadium.  The Football Boosters have rented temporary lights for a weekend for the past two years.  This has resulted in larger crowds and attendance at the football and soccer games those weekends.  It allowed more parents, community members and alumni to attend the events because they were held in the evening versus middle of the afternoon.  Clyde Kane, Facilities Director for Minneapolis Public Schools, stated that in 2009 MPS formally acquired the space the bleachers sit on and the storage underneath from the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board.  Therefore, the proposed lighting standards would all be on MPS property.  Jay Pomeroy, landscape architect for Anderson Johnson Associates, Inc., indicated that the proposal calls for four, 70 ft. light poles, two on each side of the field.  The polls will be steel column fixtures with 12 “hoods” per pole.  The hoods allow the light to be focused down and to have minimal “spill” to surrounding areas.  The lights will be focused on the track and field areas.  It is anticipated that the lights will be used mainly in the fall for approximately 4 football games and 4 soccer games.  They could also be used for youth track or other community events.  They are anticipating a city ordinance will direct that the lights need to be off by 10 p.m.

Neighbors voiced several concerns:

  • Increased security will be needed around the field and in the immediate neighborhood during crowd disbursement.  A plan needs to be in place to deal with how to get people back out.
  • Trash pick-up and maintenance needs to be done immediately to keep the neighborhood clean.
  • An effort should be made to make events Zero-Waste.
  • There will be increased trash, vandalism and general rowdiness with the larger crowds.
  • Plans need to be made to address the increased parking needs.
  • Add bike racks.
  • Allow the neighborhood to use the track on a consistent basis (e.g. one evening per week).

The estimated cost of the project is $250K-$300K.  This will not be funded out of the general MPS budget, but rather through private fundraising and donations.  They are meeting with Councilmember Betsy Hodges in early January to start navigating the City approval process.  Formal notification will be sent out to homes within 350 ft.  FNA will publish information in the January FNN.

Constituents for a Lawn Pesticide Ban:

Neighbors Joan Hargrave and John Dillery are asking for support from neighborhood organizations toward the goal of banning lawn pesticides and restricting synthetic fertilizers.  They presented information about health and environmental benefits that would be gained with a ban.  The Board suggested that they work closely with Mary Nolte and the Environmental Committee to provide educational information to Fulton residents.  They could also contact the Fulton Farmers Market as an avenue to present their information.

Pershing Park Director’s Report:  Nikki Friederich reported on current Park issues:

  • The 4th Annual Food Drive benefiting Groveland Food Shelf will run through MLK Day in January.
  • Winter sports registration has increased by 20%. The park is sponsoring 20 basketball and 9 hockey teams.
  • Nikki will work with MPS about how to increase opportunities for additional use of the stadium.  She will also work with Park Police on safety at the park during nighttime sporting events.

Farmers Market

Jeff Alden reported that the second year of the Farmers Market saw a decrease in attendance.  This could be due to second year “slump”, a lack of awareness, or to the addition of a competing Farmers Market only a few blocks away.  Jeff would like FNA to consider funding a variety of options to increase awareness of the Market and bring in more customers.  These activities would help support the ongoing viability of the Market:

  1. Farmers Market Banners on light poles in the vicinity of the Market.
  2. Public Art
    1. Lawn Signs designed by neighborhood youth
    2. Willow Tunnel or Willow Wall (ongoing project at the Market throughout the summer)

Jeff’s roughly estimates the cost of these support activities would be approximately $8,000.  The Kingfield Farmers Market is willing to contribute $2,000.  The Board asked Jeff to get more formal bids in order to better understand the financial impact of support.  A concern was stated that FNA and the Farmers Market needs to make a sustainable plan for the future so that we don’t keep addressing funding for the Market every couple of years.  The overall goal is to bring the community together.  Funding options were discussed.  We will place a notice in the January FNN that further discussion will take place at the 1/9/2013 neighborhood meeting.  We will also give people the opportunity to give feedback/ideas via the website or phone.

Coordinator’s Update:  Ruth Olson reported:

  • A SW Mpls. inter-neighborhood group is forming in order to monitor the proposed flight path changes at MSP Airport.  Ruth will recruit neighborhood representatives for this group.
  • Councilmembers Betsy Hodges (Ward 13) and John Quincy (Ward 11) will be attending the 1/9/2013 FNA meeting to further discuss the flight path proposal and guide neighborhoods as to what needs to be done next.  Representatives of the inter-neighborhood group will be invited to attend.
  • Ask both Brad Bourn and Rae Ann Vandeputte to delay their presentations until the February 13, 2013 Board Meeting.

Old Business:  A meeting will be held on Dec. 17 regarding the proposed addition of paths to Minnehaha Creek.

New Business:  No new business.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:50 p.m.   

Minutes prepared by Ruth Olson, Neighborhood Coordinator

 

Approved by FNA Board:  _______________________

 

Signed: _____________________________________

                       Jeff Alden, Secretary

Categories: Minutes   Comments (0)