Fulton Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes 11/9/2016
Minutes of November 9, 2016
Board Members Present: Mike Derus, John Finlayson, Blaire Hartley, Jane Kohnen and Jim Tincher
Guests: Ruth Olson, Dave Delvoye, Diane Moe and Kurt Schumacher
Meeting called to order at 7:04 p.m.
There were no additions or revisions to the agenda. Introductions were held.
Minutes: Minutes from October 12, 2016 FNA meeting were reviewed. Blaire moved to approve the Minutes; John seconded the motion. Motion carried by unanimous vote.
Treasurer’s Report: Jim reviewed the monthly and quarterly Treasurer’s Report. Jim reviewed the various funding sources available to FNA, existing contracts and various usages of funds reflecting both short term and long term planning. Discussion was also held about the housing program and other future income generating programs (e.g. small business loans, development loans, etc.) It has been a long time since FNA has done a neighborhood-wide broad survey and it may be time to consider one again as a way to identify current priorities.
Pershing Park Report: Diane Moe reported:
- 15 soccer teams this fall
- Zumba, karate and Tae Kwon Do are going well.
- Diane has a concern about increased high school student use of the park during lunch time and the bad behavior and litter that are generated. There have been several serious fights over the past few weeks; Minneapolis Park Police have been monitoring the parking lot over the lunch hour, but this almost seems to incite further bad behavior. Diane has asked MPRB Street Reach to offer help during the lunch hour. She has already met with the school Police Officer and has requested a meeting with Dr. Smith; Blaire can also attend if needed. Dave Delvoye has contacted the Minneapolis Police Department, who knew nothing about the incidents. Our crime prevention specialist, Jennifer Waisanen, has been in contact with Park Police and requested extra patrols during the high traffic times.
Executive Board Elections: The expressed slate of candidates for the 2016-2017 Fulton Neighborhood Association are President: Jane Kohnen, Vice-President: Steve Young; Treasurer: Jim Tincher; and Secretary: Blaire Hartley. John moved to approve the proposed slate of candidates; Mike seconded the motion. Motion carried by unanimous vote.
Open Board Seats: With the retirement of Jenny Monroe and the resignation of Nikki Schulz, there are now two open seats on the FNA Board. Jane is trying to recruit her neighbor; Mike will ask one of his neighbors and has possibly one more person he could ask. Both Jane and Mike will proceed with their recruitment.
CPP Application: Ruth presented a draft of the application for the Community Participation Program 2017-2019. The proposed budget should be close to covering our day-to-day operating costs (staff, supplies, events and communications) and also call for additional funding of $2,500 per year for further priorities such as the Grants program or Open Streets. Mike moved to approve and submit the application; John seconded the motion. Motion carried by unanimous vote.
Coordinator’s Update: Ruth Olson reported:
- The Southwest Fix It Fund Pool is out of money and there are applications in process waiting for funding. Discussion was held as to whether or not to consider putting more money into the Pool, what funding source could be used and the idea of alternate funding to keep the program going. The Finance Committee will discuss further at their December meeting.
- There is a desire to continue the Networking Events started in 2015. The gathering at Pig and Fiddle was, by far, the most popular and seems to be the model that neighbors embraced. Other ideas include partnering with Broders’ on their fall grape event and Red Cow for an Octoberfest event. Jim will work with Ruth on coming up with at least two events this year, starting with one in February or March.
- Safety: There were several car break-ins and theft of garage door openers in early October. The Edina Police arrested two suspects in similar crimes nearby and the activity seems to have stopped in Fulton. Consider an article in the next FNN about properly securing your car.
- Arts: Two of the four utility wraps are done; Blaire will contact them regarding the other two.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:32 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Ruth Olson, Neighborhood Coordinator
Approved by FNA Board: _______________________
Blaire Hartley, Secretary