Email Newsletter

Enter your email address to join our Mailing List or to resubscribe to receive our Safety Updates.

Archives

Finance Committee Minutes

Fulton Neighborhood Association Finance Committee Meeting Minutes 4/5/2017

Notes from the Fulton Finance committee meeting of April 5, 2017

Present

John Finlayson, Jane Kohnen, Jim Tincher, Ruth Olson, Dave Delvoye

Calendar

The next issue of Fulton Neighborhood News will be delivered during the second week in May.  The next neighborhood networking event may take place in early May.

Community Engagement committee

Ruth has been working with Park staff regarding adding a community band performance to the ice cream social.

Safety committee

The lower campus of Lake Harriet Community School was recently tagged with graffiti.  Ruth will contact the City of Lakes Land Trust to find out whether there are any conditions attached to its property at 5133 Zenith Ave which require that the owner reside there or that residents remain law abiding.

Environment committee

There was a discussion about a potential scheduling conflict over the use of FNA’s table at the Fulton Farmers Market.  The Environment committee wants to promote its programs and FNA wants to publicize its neighborhood survey.  Ruth with check with market staff to see if extra table(s) could be provided.

Housing

The organization administering the Fixit Fund notified the neighborhoods involved that the terms of the loan program will change in June:  a $2,500 annual fee will be imposed and a 13% loan origination fee will be added.  These increases will more than quadruple the current cost of participating in the program and undercut the goal of the program to offer low-cost, low-interest loans to residents.  The committee discussed a variety of options and scenarios.  FNA needs to respond by 5/19 if it wants to continue funding new loans in the program under the new guidelines.  There were questions about how (and if) FNA could spend its newly-restored NRP Phase 2 funds if most of the money was mandated for housing-related projects.  The best short-term strategy might be for FNA to opt out of the program and then wait until questions get resolved before making a decision about how to proceed.

Other business

It’s important that Board members and others active with FNA attend the Neighborhoods 2020 community discussion on 5/8, 6 to 8 p.m., at Martin Luther King Park.  Input provided at this meeting will have a big impact on funding for neighborhoods after 2019.

The group working on the neighborhood-wide survey met recently.  Survey questions under consideration included “How do residents feel about the neighborhood?” and “What else should FNA do to improve the neighborhood?”  There was a discussion about the timing of the survey; perhaps mail it to residents in early June and hold a follow-up workshop in late June.

There was a discussion about when to schedule the creek walk (maybe 6/3 or 6/10) and whom to invite in addition to community members (elected officials, Park Board staff).  FNA needs to coordinate the project with Lynnhurst Neighborhood Association.  The purpose of the walk is to show the current condition of the area along the creek with an eye toward upcoming funding opportunities for improvements there.

                                                                                                                Notes prepared by Dave Delvoye

Categories: Minutes, NRP   Comments (0)