Email Newsletter

Enter your email address to join our Mailing List or to resubscribe to receive our Safety Updates.

Archives

FNA Meeting Minutes

Fulton Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes 6/14/2017

Minutes of June 14, 2017

FNA Meeting 

Board Members Present: Katharine Brown, John Finlayson, Blaire Hartley, Steve Haslach, Mary Jordan, Jane Kohnen, Andrew Michaelson and Jim Tincher

Guests:  Ruth Olson and Diane Moe

Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m.  The need to recruit another new board member will be added to the agenda. 

Minutes:  Minutes from May 10, 2017 FNA meeting were reviewed. Steve H. moved to approve the Minutes; John seconded the motion. Motion carried by unanimous vote.

Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Funds will be removed from the Environment CD the next time it comes up for renewal in order to pay for the Neighborhood Forest tree give away. The bill will temporarily be paid using Friends of Fulton funds.

New Board Member: Andrew Michaelson has agreed to join the FNA Board. Jim moved to appoint Andrew to the fill the seat vacated by Mike Derus; John seconded the motion. Motion carried by unanimous vote.

Recruitment for Additional Board Member: Bart Phillips has resigned from the Board and his seat will need to be filled, also. Jane met with an interested neighbor and he will attend the July meeting to further consider a nomination.

Pershing Park Report: Diane Moe reported:

  • Book it to the Parks will kick off on June 21. Through a grant, every recreation center has received a Little Free Library with a big starter box of books. On June 21, the library will officially be opened and a guest, Lea B. Olson, will read at 4 p.m.
  • The pool opened a couple of days late due to a maintenance issues. The shade structures will be put up on June 15.
  • Summer programming has started.
  • A new Recreation Services Supervisor, Leslie Vinson, has been hired; she will be Diane’s supervisor.

Proposed Mural at 50th & Drew: Ruth has remained in contact with the owner of Subway, who has proposed a mural on the brick side wall of the building. The Subway owner is pursuing approval from the building owner. He initially proposed that FNA pay for the mural selection and installation process, but has been advised that FNA has not agreed to that and will need more information for further discussion. Blaire will reach out to find out the process and costs for a mural that size.

Michael’s Lamp Studio: A car crashed through the store front of Michael’s Lamps at 50th & Xerxes. No one in the store was injured, although there was significant damage to the windows and merchandise. Jane reached out to the manager, who said the owner has been handling things and they would appreciate customer support. 

Minnehaha Creek Walk: The Creekwalk on June 3 was a huge success with elected officials and staff from the City, County, Park Board and Watershed District, as well as both Fulton and Lynnhurst neighborhoods. A Memorandum of Understanding among parties has been signed in order to increase communication, planning and to maximize funding sources. Funding for the planning process will be released in 2018. Public Works seemed interested in doing some sort of mitigation of the concrete spillways, but neither of them are high volume collectors. 

Ad Hoc Committees:

  • Survey – The small group will meet to plan in person outreach at community events(Farmers Market, Movie Night, Open Streets, Festival, etc.) and then use those results to populate a survey. We will then hold a community meeting once the survey results are available. The purpose of the survey is to gather current feedback about the needs and priorities of Fulton residents.
  • Parking – monitoring parking issues.
  • Seniors – FNA would like to support seniors in the neighborhood with programming, but has struggled to get their feedback about needed services or ideas. This topic will be rolled into the survey. The Southwest Senior Center is closing at the end of June.

Coordinator’s Update:  Ruth Olson reported:

  • Ruth met with the new web developer and he has started working on a redesign of the site to make it mobile friendly and more efficient. Katharine will help review a prototype site when it is available.

Committee Reports:

  • Safety: It’s been a quiet month; a trailer was stolen off the street.
  • Community Engagement: Festival planning is starting. The Ice Cream Social/Movie Nightis on July 21. Ruth will e-mail the Board to get volunteers for scooping.
  • Environment: Volunteers are needed for the Pollinator Protection Project at the Farmers Market. The have a small funding request that will be reviewed by the Finance Committee.
  • Arts: Blaire will help gather information about the proposed mural.

Meeting Adjourned at 7:35 p.m.              

Minutes prepared by Ruth Olson, Neighborhood Coordinator

Approved by FNA Board:  _______________________

Signed: _____________________________________

                       Blaire Hartley, Secretary

Categories: Minutes   Comments (0)